Getpregnant Fertility Support Forum  

Go Back   Getpregnant Fertility Support Forum > Welcome to the getpregnant community > Mothers Room

Old 12th September 2012, 02:40 PM

Default chosing formula, bottles and diapers

Hello Mommies

i thought i should pop in to this forum, since we are in the process of adoption. have been reading a lot of formula, bottles and diapers, and its very confusing. lots out there in the market.

so far i managed to narrow it to : Avent phillips and Dr Browns
: Pampers premium care and pampers active baby
:Nan, S26 and Hipp (organic milk)

what can you ladies recommend?

Mommy to my beautiful adopted princess-31 October 2012

Faith isn't believing that God will definitely give you what you want but faith is trusting that God is who He says He is
Sponsored Links
Old 13th September 2012, 10:00 AM

Hi Strigs - so exciting to be looking into all these things hey?

Bottles - I have no knowledge of any of those

Nappies - I use Pampers Active, but this depends on your baby really. It did not work at all with my daughter, forever leaking - I stuck to Huggies. Huggies did not work for Jason, so am now using Pampers.
Pampers Premium is the "deluxe" Pampers nappy - I find them too expensive compare to the normal Pampers Active

Formula - Out of those I have only used the S26 Gold one with my daughter, it's a pretty rich, sweet formula and she did really well on it

Hope that helps some

TTC: 4 1/2 years, 2 Angels in heaven
Old 13th September 2012, 10:35 AM

Hi strigs

That is soooo exciting!! I am so glad you are joining us in the mommies room!! Do you have any idea when things will get finalised and you will get your precious little bundle? so special!!

Ok bottles we use MAM - I like them because the bottom and top screw off so easier to clean properly - u can get right into the bottom part - and it also has the anti colic device thingies... so they have worked well for us - only thing is we got little ones and big ones - the little ones they outgrow so quickly so I would personally only get big ones...

Formula - I have one twin on NAN and 1 on S26... the NAN smells a bit weird but he is doing really well on it... A lot of ppl seem to like NAN more - it apparently makes em chubby... apparently S26 has a lot of iron in - when we switched Gavi to the S26 he really didnt like it... but Shoshi has been on it since birth and never had any problems... Also I am not sure if it was because of the formula or not, but Gavi used to throw up a bit when he was little on the NAN and Shoshi never had problems on the S26 - though a friend told me that she has heard some babies get constipated and bad tummies on the S26 because it has extra iron... just some points to consider... If I had to do it again I am not sure which one I would go with... NAN does seem to be the more popular one though and its what they use in hospital...

nappies I also use pampers... in the begining I used the pampers premium, but now just normal pampers active... I didnt like huggies - they didnt seem to close as well and pampers to me looked more comfortable for the babsies...

hope that helps a little... so excited for you - hope it all gets finalised soon!!!!
Nov 2009: 1 x laproscopy - severe endo cleaned
July 2010: 1st IVF cycle - BFN
Sept & Oct 2010: 4th & 5thcycle clomid - BFN
May 2011: 2nd IVF cycle - T"G its a BFP!! TWINS!!!!
Beautiful twins born 17 Jan 2012!!!!

So far mommy to 2 beautiful twins and my favourite surprise LG!!

NBL7p2

Old 13th September 2012, 12:27 PM

thanks ladies, thats so informatinve.

most of my friends use NAN too. so i guess it shall be NAN unless munchkin reacts. i have a plan for nanies, i thought pampers premium for night since its costly, and pampers active for days.

we have a meeting with the social worker tomorrow, for the house visit. we might have her by christmas. totally hope for that. so impatient, but trying hard to be patient.

Excited about the whole process, that i cant keep myself from buying items for her. when she arrives she will be 2 months old, coz of the new law that babies should stay 60 days before they get released into care of their adoptive parents

list of what we bought:
4 vest of 3-6 months, 2 long sleeve 6-12 months, 4 pairs of 3-6 months socks, 2 receiving blankets, 6-12 sleepwear jumper, 3-6 months jumper,1 pair tights 3-6 months, 3-6 months jumper, 1 set of 3-6 months top and shorts, 5 bibs, 3 pkts of wipes

still have to buy lots, but not sure on the clothing size i should buy, whether lots of 6-9 months or 3-6 months. did you ladies use sleeping sac or

Faith isn't believing that God will definitely give you what you want but faith is trusting that God is who He says He is
Old 13th September 2012, 04:01 PM

CONGRATS STRIGS!!!!

So excited for you!

Kay is on Nan, ever since she stopped BF-ing. AT first we had to put her on Nan H.A. (Hypo-allergenic) but now she's on Isomil (due to her eczema, we're going through a trial and error process). We also love the pampers nappies. She got a few huggies as gifts but they don't close so nicely and runny poo would trickle onto her clothes (sorry TMI).

Bottles: I use Tommee Tippee. My cousin used Dr. Browns and says cleaning them is a mission and a half because of all the bits and pieces in them. They are also very difficult to clean and put back together.

I suggest buying bigger clothes because they grow so quickly in the beginning. What you have sounds about right, but I know the temptation to buy! Both my girls had stuff they wore only once then it was too big!

Enjoy every moment and I pray you bring your angel home before Chrismas!
2 X Failed IUI in 2010
2 X Failed IVF in 2010
Natural BFP after lap in Feb 2011

Thanking God for my miracle.

Sponsored Links
Old 14th September 2012, 09:04 AM

Pampers Active is a pretty decent night nappy Strigs. I sometimes buy the sleep and play Pampers and use that during the day and then the Active one during the night

Aviva - I love the Mam Bottles, also use them for Jason

I think holding off on buying too many clothes is probably a good idea, you never know what her size is going to be? It's all dependant hey

I mean Jason is 9 months old and he still fits into some 3-6months clothing, so really size dependant

I bought a sleeping sac, used it about twice - J did not seem too keen, and I kept forgetting to put it on

TTC: 4 1/2 years, 2 Angels in heaven
Old 14th September 2012, 09:54 AM

yep maybe wait with more clothes - the twins also have so many things they havent even worn once and already small... or I also bought things bigger but then the season was wrong... but I know some things are sooo cute you cant resisit

I would suggest sleeping sacs - the twins have been in them for months - and they happy in them - and esp now I am having to stop using blankets for Gavi (he tends to turn over in the middle of the night - slide over to the other side of the cot and I usually find him with his blanket over his face which is a big worry for me) so at least with the sleeping sac I know he is warm and cant suffocate himself with it...
Nov 2009: 1 x laproscopy - severe endo cleaned
July 2010: 1st IVF cycle - BFN
Sept & Oct 2010: 4th & 5thcycle clomid - BFN
May 2011: 2nd IVF cycle - T"G its a BFP!! TWINS!!!!
Beautiful twins born 17 Jan 2012!!!!

So far mommy to 2 beautiful twins and my favourite surprise LG!!

NBL7p2

Old 17th September 2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks Ladies

Aviva which sleeping sac brand did you use? so many brands online, and so confusing!

not sure which to buy between kaboosh and Baby sense

Getslim.co.za banner